Pregnancy support at Shine health & beauty salons in Stoke Newington & Newington Green
Pregnancy and birth should be one of the most empowering and important times in your life, especially with your first baby as you are beginning your journey into parenthood. Life as new parents can be demanding and exhausting to begin with but the right support can ease the bonding between mother and baby and help towards calm, confident parenting.
It is important for women to have access to information and caring support so they can make informed decisions around theirs and their newborns needs.
What holistic treatments will support my pregnancy?
Even though pregnancy is a normal physiological condition, women can find their daily lives hampered by a range of symptoms including;
- nausea & vomiting,
- back and pelvic pain,
- heartburn and anxiety.
If the baby is in breech position or lying posterior (back to back to the mother) this can also affect the outcome of labour and thus coming for acupuncture at the optimum time of between 32- 36 weeks is highly recommended.
Several systematic reviews have found that moxibustion (warming herb used over a specific acupuncture point) has a positive effect in correcting breech presentation.
Women also come for treatment as they approach their due date. Pre-birth preparation treatment from around 37 weeks helps to encourage optimum condition for labour, physically, mentally and emotionally. Teaching couples to use acupressure during labour is a very useful tool and allows the partner to be actively involved.
Many women come for induction treatment if their baby is overdue. Having treatments in the last few weeks of pregnancy can help to avoid this happening, so that women can go into labour spontaneously.
See our dedicated page Acupuncture for Pregnancy to find out more.
10 Tips for new mums to look after their backs
- When picking up your baby or child, get as close to them as possible (drop the sides of the cot down where possible), bend your knees, keep your back straight, tighten your stomach muscles, avoid twisting and then use your thigh muscles to stand up
- Use a change table that is waist height to avoid leaning forward for all those nappy changes
- Ensure you are comfortable with correct posture whilst breast or bottle feeding your baby
- Squat (great for pelvic floor function) or lunge down to pick up toys or your child from the floor rather than bending at the waist
- Bend your knees and tighten your stomach muscles when doing any repetitive or prolonged bending (settling a baby in a cot)
- Have regular breaks to avoid muscle fatigue when doing any repetitive or prolonged bending
- Encourage toddlers to walk rather than being lifted where possible, better for them and you.
- Take 5-10 minutes every day for a quick stretch of your lower back muscles, calves, hamstrings, quadriceps and hip flexors.
- Perform some exercise most days including a walk or strengthening exercises and do your pelvic floor exercises regularly.
- Sleep! Sleep! Sleep! Sleep when your baby or child sleeps, get to bed early. Sleep will assist in your recovery after birth and after a busy day!
Back pain does not have to be a ‘normal’ part of being a Mum! These are also great tips for Dads or care takers of young children!
Cranial Osteopathy can help the physical preparation for birth and the ever-changing reality and needs of your body during pregnancy. Treatments may involve balancing spinal and pelvic tensions and aiding relaxation of the muscles and ligaments, pelvis and pelvic floor. It can also help to ensure that there is no undue tension in the tummy and diaphragm affecting circulation or breathing. Changes in posture may cause backache, neckache, headaches, sciatica, aching legs or undue fatigue. Treatments are gentle and can be received throughout your pregnancy at all stages.
For Mother’s to be, babies and for new Mum’s, CST can be an integral part of brining your baby into the world. Among many things, this gentle yet powerful treatment is amazing at calming down your Central Nervous system, allowing rebalance to occur. CST can also be fantastic at helping ease aches, pains and anxiety. To find out more see our Mums, bumps and baby clinic.
Massage has always been a fantastic treatment to support people throughout their pregnancy, during all the changes that can come with a growing baby. It is advisable to wait until after your 1st trimester for treatment.
Reflexology is ideal for those who do not feel like having a full body treatment. It can also help give an insightful review of your organs, as well your muscles, energy levels and adrenal systems. People often book in if they are overdue and want to stimulate the release of hormones. Reflexology is also a deeply relaxing treatment.
Book a pregnancy support appointment at Shine health & beauty salons in Stoke Newington & Newington Green
To book an appointment please call our professional team of experts on 020 7241 5033 for our Newington Green health & beauty salon or 020 7241 5033 for our Church Street health & beauty salon in Stoke Newington.